The web conferencing system of the University of Leipzig offers the possibility to hold ad-hoc audio and video conferences quickly and easily. The system has an integrated open and private chat, a shared whiteboard, an online survey tool and the possibility to share presentations, videos or your own screen.
Our service for you
This service offers users:
- Audio and video transmission functionalities
- Present screen
- Chat function
- virtual group rooms (breakout room)
- Drawing, shared whiteboard, (shared) notes, status display of participants, polls
- Optimal use for up to 25 participants with audio/video transmission or up to 250 participants with one/few presenters (audio/video transmission)
- Drawing, shared whiteboard, (shared) notes, status display of participants, polls
- Time limit: 300 minutes (after which the conference is switched off)
The use of the service requires compliance with the following regulations:
- For all services of the University Computer Centre, the IuK usage regulations of the University Computer Centre of the University of Leipzig apply in principle. Misuse of services of the University Computer Centre may lead to the termination of the usage permit and, if applicable, to criminal proceedings.
- Information Security Regulations and Data Protection Regulations of the Department for Data Protection and Information Security of the University of Leipzig
The Data Protection Officer of the University of Leipzig must be consulted when personal data is collected.
If you have any questions about data protection, please contact the Data Protection Officer of the University of Leipzig.
Use of the Service is subject to compliance with the following specific provisions:
- The right of access and use granted to you for BBB is non-transferable and is available only to yourself
- Members of the University of Leipzig are entitled to use BBB for the purposes of teaching, research and administration. Other uses are possible upon request in accordance with the IuK User Regulations.
You are advised that the information, text, software, images, video, graphics, sound and other materials contained in BBB are generally protected by copyright, trademark or patent laws.
You are advised that the statutory provisions on data protection must be observed. This applies in particular to recordings of video conferences. Secretly recording video or audio conferences is a criminal offence.
Rules of conduct
You may not post any content on BBB that is illegal, pornographic, obscene, defamatory, libelous, abusive, threatening, hateful or racist. It is also prohibited to post advertisements without permission and to transmit information that contains a virus, manipulations or similar harmful elements.
Registration (Login) and Access ID
By using BBB under these Terms, you represent and warrant that
- you will not disclose your user ID and password to anyone,
- you are responsible for any use of BBB using your user ID and password,
- you must ensure that your user ID and password are protected from unauthorised use,
- you are required to notify the Administration immediately if you become aware of or suspect any misuse of
- your login details.
Exclusion from use
Warranty and product liability
BBB is offered on an "as-is" and "as-available" basis. No warranty is given.
You expressly agree that the use of BBB and its contents is at your own risk. The University of Leipzig does not guarantee that the programme functions will meet the requirements of the users or that they will cooperate in the selection made by them. Neither the University of Leipzig nor the manufacturers or developers are liable for any damage resulting from the use of BBB or its contents.
We have taken all necessary and appropriate technical and organisational measures to comply with the regulations on data protection within the University of Leipzig. Should there nevertheless be a perception that the right to protection of personal data has been violated by the University of Leipzig, the University's Data Protection Officer or the Saxon Data Protection Officer are available as a complaints body.
Data Protection Officer of the University of Leipzig
Data Protection Officer
Tel.: +49 341 97-30081
Competent supervisory authority for data protection
Saxon Data Protection Commissioner
Mr. Andreas Schurig
Telefon: +49 351/85471101
Telefax: +49 351/85471109
BBB is a video conferencing system used at the University of Leipzig for teaching purposes (online lectures, seminars, tutorial groups) and study purposes (tutorials, online exchange between students) as well as for general official tasks (official meetings, group meetings).
The essential functions of BBB include
- Providing conference rooms including breakout rooms
- Transmission of sound, screen content, file content and video as part of a conference
- Video recording
- Creating and sharing notes during a video conference
- Textual messaging during a video conference
- Displaying a whiteboard for collaborative content work
Participants in a videoconference are people who take part in a videoconference. They can activate their video camera, use the chat and transmit voice. They can view the moderator's content.
Facilitators lead a videoconference and present content. They can activate their video camera and manage participants (e.g. mute, allow to join, remove from a conference).
Special features for the purpose of teaching and studying
BBB can be used for teaching and e-learning based on the specifications of the examination regulations of the degree programmes.
Examinations may only be taken via this system with the student's consent. Recording of examinations is not permitted.
Recording of courses is only permitted if there are no participants in the room or if all participants and moderators have clearly and verifiably agreed to the recording beforehand. Secret recording of a video conference is a criminal offence.
General information on data processing
As a matter of principle, we collect and use personal data of our users only to the extent necessary to provide BBB and its functions.
BBB is characterised by its data economy. The following data is collected when using BBB:
- Connection data (e.g. IP address, browser type, date and time of access)
- Access data: Username, password in encrypted form
- Content data (e.g. uploaded files, chat posts, surveys)
Data processing takes place exclusively on servers of the University Computer Centre. Access data and content data are stored for the period from the first use until the termination of the service offer. After termination of the service offer, the data is deleted.
Unless otherwise stipulated by law, no data is transmitted to third parties in the legal sense.
The temporary storage of connection data, in particular the IP address, by the system is necessary to enable delivery of BBB to the user's computer. For this purpose, the user's IP address must remain stored for the duration of the session. The legal basis for the temporary storage of the data is Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO.
The processed data (connection/access and types of content data) are stored in log files to ensure the functionality of BBB. In addition, we use the data to optimise BBB and to ensure the security of our information technology systems. These purposes are also our legitimate interest in data processing according to Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f DSGVO.
The data in the log files are deleted after a period of 14 days. Only administrators of the University Computer Centre have access to the log files.
The collection of data for the provision of BBB and the storage of the data in log files is absolutely necessary for its operation. Consequently, there is no possibility for the user to object.
The legal basis for the processing of personal data using cookies is Art. 6 (1) lit. f DSGVO.
The purpose of using technically necessary cookies is to simplify the use of websites for users.
Rights of the data subject
If your personal data is processed, you are a data subject within the meaning of the GDPR and you have the following rights vis-à-vis the controller:
Voluntary consent and revocation according to Art. 7 (3) DSGVO: If the use of the services is based on consent, this can be revoked at any time in accordance with Art. 7 (3) DSGVO with the consequence that the personal data of the person concerned will not be further processed. The lawfulness of the processing carried out on the basis of the consent up to the revocation remains unaffected by this.
Right to information (Art. 15 DSGVO): You have the right to request information about the data processed about you and the possible recipients of this data at any time. You are entitled to a reply within a period of one month after receipt of the request for information.
Right to rectification, deletion and restriction (Art. 16 - 18 DSGVO): You may at any time request the University of Leipzig to correct or delete your personal data or to restrict processing.
Right to data portability (Art. 20 DSGVO): They may request that the University of Leipzig transmit their personal data to them in a machine-readable format. Alternatively, they may request the direct transfer of the personal data you have provided to another controller, where this is possible.
Right to object (Art. 21 DSGVO): You may object to the processing of personal data concerning you at any time on grounds relating to your particular situation.
Right to lodge a complaint (Art. 77 DSGVO): You can contact the data protection officer of the University of Leipzig at any time, as well as the competent supervisory authority for data protection in the event of a complaint pursuant to Art. 77 DSGVO.
- No recording of videoconferences possible
- Recording of videoconferences is possible with the service Videoconference with Big Blue Button (teaching).
- Alternative systems, e.g. DFNconf, Zoom, Skype4Business offer other performance parameters (e.g. number of simultaneous participants) with other functions (e.g. virtual backgrounds, background blur)